Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Progress Update

I just spoke with Christy over lunch and got an update on her progress. She mentioned to me how well her physical and occupational therapy has been going. I think her progress has been tremendous thus far as she continues to make great strides. On Saturday, the therapists added a new wrinkle to her rehab. They implemented a bicycle to her workout. This particular bike worked her legs automatically while she focused on increasing her upper body strength through weight lifting exercises. I know this new regimen left her exhausted at the end of the day, but I'm sure it was rewarding as well.

This morning Christy was able to take a shower again on her own. She said that was refreshing and went well but she did mention the transfers in the shower area make her a bit anxious. For the very first time, she was able to rest on her stomach for about 20-30 minutes today. She said that was quite a change since she's only been able to lay on her back to this point. Later today, she and Emily, the OT, were to bake some lemon poppy seed muffins in the kitchen. This will help her get familiar with the oven before the big brownie bake off that is slated for next Wednesday.

As for the bake off, Christy will go off campus Monday to a local Target near the Lennox Hill Mall area to get all supplies needed for her awesome brownie recipe. This particular Target is a pretty neat place even by my standards. The kids and I went there during our visit and found that it has 3 floors and 2 escalators. One escalator is solely dedicated to moving your shopping cart from one floor to the next. How cool is that?

With regard to the participants in the bake off, ladies beware! You're essentially swimming in the deep end of a pool that contains a shark. Seriously, good luck to all participants and the judge(s)as well. Concerning judges, Christy I'm not sure who they are but I'm certain Mr. Wagner at Newburgh Elementary School would love to be in on such an event. That being said, I'm not sure he could be fair or impartial, and I think logistics would present a challenge. Oh well, just a thought.

In closing, Christy will be getting more company this weekend as some of the Drexton Girls (minus Julia) make their way to Atlanta. Debi, Angela and Laura hope to leave this Friday, March 5th around noon. If anyone has anything they want to get to Christy, I'm sure the Drexton Girls would be happy to deliver. Be safe girls.

Randy

2 comments:

  1. Randy,
    I love reading your post. You and Christy are amazing. My son Ethan and Sam are in the same class. We would love to have Sam over anytime!! Sam always has a smile on his face!!
    Love and prayers to you all always!
    Michelle Reine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randy, I am going to drop off cards that my step-son Jacob's class at Castle North Jr High made for Christy. I thought her friends could take them to her. Your family continues to be in our prayers. We enjoy reading about Christy's progress. Please let us know, if we can do anything!! Jennica Pritchard

    ReplyDelete